Who We Are
Tony specializes in the development and delivery of leading-edge executive coaching, executive launch and leadership development programs, especially in the financial services and high tech sectors. He is founder and President of Mulkern Associates, a Los Angeles-based consulting services firm and a frequent featured speaker at leadership conferences and events.
WHO USES OUR SERVICES?
Clients include entrepreneurial companies committed to rapid growth, from start-ups to evolving mid-size and large organizations, committed to increasing their enterprise value by optimizing the effectiveness of their senior leadership teams. Tony has also worked extensively with not-for-profits that are seeking to establish a more entrepreneurial culture.
EXTENSIVE, DIVERSE EXPERIENCE
With 30+ years of demonstrated success as an executive coach, business consultant, MBA-level educator, and senior human resources executive, Tony is uniquely adept at working one-on-one in strategic coaching engagements with business owners or senior general management professionals in financial services, high-tech, and professional service firms. He has assisted numerous start up firms, in addition to well established businesses, to grow their revenues and optimize value to their clients and customers.
Building upon years of delivering intense management development to a 900-company employers’ association, together with a doctorate from The University of Texas at Austin, Tony established Mulkern Associates to pioneer and evolve the then embryonic concept of “executive coaching.” Working closely with a group of 20 top executives, Tony coached a senior officer financial services team on team-building and objective-setting, resulting in a 100% increase in production volume and profits and zero turnover over 5 years.
RECORD OF ACCOMPLISHMENT
Most recently at Sigue Corporation, a major money transfer company, Tony has played a leading role spanning 14 years in coaching the CEO and building the executive team and capabilities needed to take Sigue from a regional player to a global company in 147 countries. Based upon his accomplishments and the respect he earned at Sigue, he was asked to serve for the second time as interim Vice President of Human Resources at Sigue, from November 2015 to June 2017, reporting to the CEO. From this position he managed the recruitment and development of some of the top executive talent in the industry, developed the company’s first Global HR Strategic Plan, developed sales and sales management seminars in both English and Spanish, revised performance management systems, and installed a First 90-Days program for all new senior executives.
Tony was recruited to serve through the mid 90s as Vice President, Human Resources for ARCS Mortgage, an emerging high-growth mortgage banking firm and subsidiary of the Bank of New York. He coached the CEO on change leadership, communications and management issues. Tony’s efforts resulted in seven-figure savings in turnover, legal, customer service and health insurance costs, and he was recognized as being a significant player in a senior team that achieved a 75% increase in employee productivity throughout a period of extraordinary growth.
FACILITATED CLIENT GROWTH
Concurrent with his on-going coaching engagements, in the early 2000s, Tony teamed with the Chairman and founder of a start up Southern California boutique investment banking firm specializing in mergers and acquisitions for privately held mid-market companies. Working directly with CEOs and principals of multi-million dollar manufacturers, distributors, and retailers, Tony successfully coordinated the multiple complex processes and negotiations resulting in the completion of seven figure transactions.
Tony is a skilled presenter and trainer, acknowledged organizational development specialist, and regularly published and quoted HR innovator. He and and his wife make their home in the foothills of north Glendale, California, overlooking the metropolis of Los Angeles. A frequent international traveler and continual learner, he has advanced speaking, reading and writing skills in Spanish and research qualifications in French and German. His past-times have included aerobatic flying as a private pilot, quail hunting, listening to Bach’s cantatas, and reading in Spanish the works of contemporary, world-famous authors.
MEMBERSHIPS, CERTIFICATIONS, AWARDS
Tony Mulkern is an active participant in a variety of organizations, and has been recognized with many certifications and awards, including these:
- Certified Executive Coach, Center for Executive Coaching, Accredited by International Coaching Federation
- Certified in Client-Centered Coaching, Marshall Goldsmith Group
- Award of Excellence for Executive Coaching and Mentoring, Sigue Corp.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, MBA Faculty, University of Redlands
- Team Leadership Excellence Award, American Society for Training and Development, Los Angeles
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- International Coach Federation (ICF)
- La Canada Presbyterian Para-Professional Psychological Lay Counseling Team
- Business Brokers License, California Department of Real Estate
- Certified Facilitator, Renaissance Executive Forums
- Vistage Executive Network Speaker.
ABOUT OUR ASSOCIATES
Mulkern Associates includes a select group of distinguished professionals who are called upon when the scope of the client’s needs requires a joint or team effort of diverse specialties. Recent assignments have included bringing in the services of the following individuals or firms:
- Thought leader on IT productivity and leadership
- Senior partner and specialist in labor law from an international law firm
- Organizational development expert with native fluency in Spanish
- Nationally recognized compensation and benefits consultant
- Mexico City-based investment banking firm
- U.S.-based mergers and acquisitions firm
- Consulting psychoanalyst
- Cultural change expert who specializes in working with female executives
- Estate and investment planner
- Executive security and investigation firm.
- Select Executive Recruiting firms
- Testing and assessment psychologists
- Mountain States Employers Council.
As the above list illustrates, Mulkern Associates has no hesitation in recommending to a client additional expertise from other firms when it is appropriate. Our ethical values dictate that we personally handle only those assignments for which we are fully qualified.